About the McKell Institute
The McKell Institute is a progressive research institute dedicated to providing practical and innovative solutions to contemporary policy challenges.
Key areas of activity for the McKell Institute include producing regular policy reports and hosting events with thought leaders from business, government and civil society.
We are engaged across a wide range of policy issues including but not limited to infrastructure funding and financing, superannuation reform, health and hospitals reform, industrial relations and workers entitlements, economic analysis and modelling, productivity and innovation policy, housing affordability, and social service delivery.
The McKell Institute’s studies have been authored by leading academics and experienced industry experts. We’ve collaborated with the UTS Business School, the University of Sydney Business School, the University of Adelaide Law School, Macquarie University’s Centre for Workforce Futures and UNSW’s Social Policy Research Centre to deliver this ground-breaking suite of research.
Our reports feature heavily in the media after their release and are generally welcomed by leading policy-makers, business people and civil society leaders. One of our reports was launched by then-NSW Treasurer, the Hon Andrew Constance MP.
Some of our Special Guests have included:
- The Hon Julia Gillard, former Prime Minister of Australia. Hosted by Slater & Gordon.
- Mr Glenn Stevens, Governor of the Reserve Bank of Australia. Hosted by Allens.
- The Hon Mike Baird MP, Premier of NSW. Hosted by KPMG.
- Ms Jane Halton PSM, Secretary of the Department of Finance. Hosted by Corrs Chambers Westgarth.
- The Hon Gladys Berejiklian MP, Treasurer of NSW. Hosted by KPMG.
- The Hon Andrew Leigh MP, Shadow Assistant Treasurer. Hosted by Deloitte.
- The Hon Jillian Skinner MP, NSW Minister for Health. Hosted by Ernst & Young.
- Mr Martin Bowles PSM, Secretary of the Department of Health. Hosted by DLA Piper.
- Mr David Plouffe, President Barack Obama’s 2008 Campaign Director. Hosted by the University of Sydney.
- The Hon Tanya Plibersek MP, Deputy Leader of the Federal Opposition. Hosted by UTS.
- The Hon Dominic Perrottet MP, NSW Minister for Finance, Services and Property. Hosted by NAB.
The McKell Institute takes its name from former NSW Premier and Governor–General of Australia, Sir William McKell. William McKell made a powerful contribution to both New South Wales and Australian society through progressive social, economic and environmental reforms.